PDFE 9
I was enrolled in the Loganville school system all of my life. Loganville is a small town located in Walton County Georgia. I had physical education about three days a week for about an hour each day. We were taught by a coach or a PE teacher which were the same thing to me at that point in my life. This teacher led a class of about twenty-five or thirty in a large gym that held two or three classes at a time. We also had an outdoor track, basketball courts, playground, and football/soccer fields which could be broken up to play kickball, baseball, and softball. We learned the basics of sport and movement. I loved PE, it was one of my favorite subjects and it helped me develop relationships and skills.
The system set up in Georgia seemed to be adhered to in my lower grades physical education. I really wish that physical education was an integral part of a child’s everyday education however. It seems like we are setting the next generations up for unhealthy lives by not devoting time to their health as our teachers and parents did to ours. It is hard to say that a child will get adequate motor learning and physical activity at home so they should be helped and pushed at school to work harder and become a well rounded person. Forty minutes two times a week does not seem long enough to me considering the governmental suggestions to all people. I would like to see a program in schools that was present daily not only to produce children with the knowledge on how to be fit but to also relieve stress and calm them down. PE is an outlet for many children and helps them develop not only physical wellness and motor skills but also social skills and stress management skills. Having a physical education class daily would enhance a child’s effectiveness immense amounts. I would also like to see pe required throughout school. I believe that a physical education option of some sort ( basketball, weight training, football) should be required throughout your upper level schooling to maintain this form of creative and stress relief.
I was taught more along the skill theme at younger ages but as I progressed with age teachers turned more toward the traditional theme. I felt this was appropriate for me as a small child because I still had fun, however I was learning basics to many tasks that progressed with me as I got older. It is a lot more applicable for an older child to adhere to the traditional theme and it is understood by them once that have the cognitive and motor capacity to do so. Both approaches are well liked and used but I believe age should be the key determinant in when each program should be applied.
No comments:
Post a Comment