Welcome

I hope that you find this blog useful and applicable to some situation that can be applied to everyday life.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

PDFE 1

I observed an upper level dance class for an hour. There were six female students from Berry College ranging in year from freshman to junior. The class was dance troupe which engages the students previous dance skills, improves on their techniques, teaches them new styles, and performs for children in the community. The class was held in one of the multipurpose room in the Cage Center. The class takes place every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 2-3 PM. I observed on Wednesday August 27, 2010.
The activities were monitored and difficult but with a proper background in dance the materials were safe. The teacher also gave options to the students if they felt too uncomfortable doing a certain stretch or move.
o Are the students/participants actually learning or enhancing movement skills?
The students were enhancing range of motion by heavy stretching, learning new choreography which engaged not only their body but also their mind. Through this class the members were enhancing themselves as dancers by creating a better full body engagement.
The students moved the majority of the time except when they were sitting into their stretches or holding them.
The activities seemed appropriate for those who had dance experience however if they were new to the art it would be difficult to mesh well and perform some of the step, stretches, and dances.
If I taught the activity I would try and go from a beginner level to make sure that everyone was on the same page. I think it would engage the learning of the class more if everyone had similar fundamentals.
The dance students seemed to greatly enjoy the activity other than the pain that it may have inflicted. They laughed and had fun randomly for the whole hour.
The teaching style was very appropriate for females but it would have been interesting to see a male mixed in the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment